Double Hung Windows
Double hung windows are named so because they have two sashes, one at the top and one at the bottom. Both of their sashes are designed to slide past each other in a single casement. Double hungs belong to the list of windows that have a traditional style. They are easily recognizable because of their classic look.
The lower sash is situated in front of the one that’s at the top. Both of the sashes are made with a solid pane of glass. Other models come with muntins built onto them which are intended to divide them into separate lights. Other types of double hung replacement windows are equipped with a removable snap-in grid that creates an illusion of separate lights. Those that are made with removable snap-in grids are mainly used for decorative purposes.
These windows are made with two grooves on their side jambs so as to allow their sashes to slide separately. Some of them are made with a full window screen for full ventilation while others come with half screens that have to be placed in position.
Here are some of the top advantages of double hung replacement windows:
1. They provide good amounts of ventilation, which is basically half of their entire size.
2. They are really energy efficient and offer protection against ultraviolet light. Some models of double hung windows are made with shades that tilt inward to help make them easier to clean.
3. They are really easy to use and are very durable.
4. They offer a classic look and are available in both wood and vinyl casements.
* Easy Clean Glass is included with Low-E/Argon